Housing- Emergency Shelters

Clay County
Manchester Pentecostal Church
209 Main Street, Manchester KY 40962

Floyd County
Floyd County Community Center
7199 KY-80, Langley KY 41645

Johnson County
Hazard Community and Technical College – Lees College Campus
680 Jefferson Avenue, Johnson KY 41339

Knott County
Camp Nathanael
480 Camp Nathanael Road, Emmalena KY 41740

Hindman Settlement School
51 Center Street, Hindman KY 41822

Leslie County

W.B. Muncy Elementary School
140 Pirate Drive, Wooton KY 41776

Letcher County

Letcher County Extension Office
478 Extension Drive, Whitesburg KY 41858

The Mountain Shrine Club
95 Maryland Drive, Whitesburg KY 41858

Perry County
Gospel Light Baptist Church
100 Independence Drive, Hazard KY 41701

Roy G. Eversole Elementary School
601 Broadway Street, Hazard KY 41701

Housing — Temporary Housing- Kentucky State Parks

Buckhorn Lake State Resort Park

Jenny Wiley State Resort Park

Pine Mountain State Resort Park

Food Assistance (SNAP)

The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Nutrition Service has approved the following waivers.

  • One waiver allows the purchase of hot foods through Oct. 2, 2022. This will help the residents of several counties that qualify for Individual Assistance. Counties

include Breathitt, Clay, Floyd, Knott, Letcher, Perry and Pike. It also covers surrounding counties: Bell, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knox, Lawrence, Laurel, Lee, Leslie, Magoffin, Martin, McCreary, Morgan, Owsley, Whitley and Wolfe.

  • Another waiver extends SNAP certification periods an additional 6 months for households in Breathitt, Clay, Floyd, Knott, Leslie, Letcher, Magoffin, Martin, Owsley, Perry, Pike, and Whitley This allowance from the USDA’s Food Nutrition Service extends certification periods and adjusts report submission dates for ongoing SNAP households who are due for recertification or periodic reporting.


Impacted Kentuckians who are facing challenges with their utility bills are encouraged to first contact their utility provider regarding assistance programs such as arranging alternative payment schedules or payment plans. In addition, the following resources are available.

  • The Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services administers the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), a federally funded program that helps low-income households meet their home heat and cooling needs.
  • Community Action Kentucky provides services, including utility payment assistance, to Kentucky families in all 120 counties. Visit here for more information.
  • Kentucky’s Homeowner Assistance Fund assists qualified homeowners with utility bills.
  • Team Kentucky’s Healthy at Home Eviction Relief Fund can assist renters with utility bills.
  • Kentucky 2-1-1 is your easy-to-remember access number for this information and referral service provided by United Way. Visit here for more information https://www.uwky.org/211.

FEMA Mobile Registration Centers

Mobile Registration Centers: FEMA mobile registration centers are open daily 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. to help with applying for assistance, updating your information and filing appeals.

  • Buckhorn Children & Family Services – Parking Lot, 116 Buckhorn Lane, Buckhorn, KY 41721 Through Tuesday, Sept. 6
  • Crockettsville KYEM Housing Site, 9506 State Hwy 315, Booneville, KY 41314 Sept. 3 – Sept. 7
  • Double Kwik Gas Station – Parking Lot, 9722 KY-15, Isom, KY 41824 Opening Tuesday, Sept. 6

For fixed locations, see the “One-Stop Locations” tab at the top of this page.

It is not necessary to go to an in-person center to apply for FEMA assistance. Homeowners and renters in Breathitt, Clay, Floyd, Knott, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Magoffin, Martin, Owsley, Perry, Pike and Whitley counties can go online to disasterassistance.gov, call 800-621-3362 or use the FEMA mobile app. If you use a relay service, such as video relay (VRS), captioned telephone or other service, give FEMA the number for that service.

When applying for assistance, it’s important to have some critical information in hand:

  • A current phone number where you can be contacted;
  • Your address at the time of the disaster and the address where you are now staying;
  • Your Social Security number;
  • A general list of damage and losses;
  • Banking information if you choose direct deposit; and
  • If insured, the policy number or the agent and/or the company name.

For an accessible video on how to apply for assistance go to FEMA Accessible: How to Register with Disaster Survivor Assistance – YouTube.